Saturday, August 9, 2008

Congratulations Michael!

I watched every race. Okay, admittedly I turned the channel yesterday in time to watch the breakdown of the finish. I thought I had turned the TV from my husband’s video game in time to watch him lose. I was upset for a couple of minutes until I finally heard them say he had won. Perhaps Mr. Cavic should have held his tongue until after the race about who his win would have been good for, although he was quoted after a protest that ended in the same results as saying “I’m very, very happy," Cavic said. "I don't want to fight this. It is a gold medal at stake. It's a difficult thing to lose. But you have to understand I came to this competition with the goal to win a bronze medal. I went my best time, and I did better than bronze, I got silver. And I almost got gold." (From column by Vicki Michaelis, USA TODAY here.) It was amazing to watch history being made, I still remember Carl Lewis in Atlanta. This will be very hard to beat I would think. I don’t know how many events one can even be in before you have to cross over to other sports. Male gymnasts have a chance at 8 but they have to win them all which include the team, the all around, and all individuals. There are probably some track and fields that people can try and get all of, but I can’t see a sprinter against some of those shot-putters. I guess we will just have to wait and see in the coming Olympics. Congrats to Mrs. Torres on her 3 silvers, Miss Coughlin’s six medals and to the whole US swimming team who also did an outstanding job.

No comments: