Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Joke's On You...

So I call the child support bureau and state I didn't receive the child support I was suppose to this week. Then they tell that joke that you know they all must keep tally of somewhere of how many times they have said it to share with their friends. "You need to contact the father..." Oh ho ho... funny... If I could contact him why would I be contacting you? If I could speak to him without wanting to strangle him, scratch out his eyes or rip out his heart I don't think this child support thing would be an issue.

There has to be a better way for these people to do this. If you could trust the man to pay it in the first place this agency wouldn't really be all that needed. I know now a days it must be hard for some women to keep up with what baby daddy paid what, or saying they aren't getting when they are, but I know personally and most people I know would just be happy to get what they are awarded without having to drag it out with threats. I actually had to threaten mine with jail time to get him to start paying and now he isn't again. I waited over 2 years before I told him I was over being nice, and he could sit in jail for all I cared. (And f he thinks he has under the jail time amount he is very sadly mistaken. $40 dollars a month over 4 or 5 months does not pay off a near $7,000 debt.)

So there must be a better way to do this. I don't think it should be a state thing, it should be a federal thing. I know the IRS does get involved at some point, but at what point I have no idea. I know that they can keep better tabs on my ex in Alabama than Indiana can. Indiana does try as much as they can I guess (not much) but with all the men not paying it must be hard to keep tabs on any one case. Their information comes from the federal government or from the tip line of people turning in the fathers and occasional mother. I think the states should still determine the amounts awarded, but the tracking and enforcing should be federal. Mine gets tips so that he doesn't have to report them or "give them to me" as he would say. That's why he's a deadbeat pizza boy. I laugh now because most tips are left on the debit cards I would think. My husband and I don't even carry cash any more, neither do most people we know.

In my opinion if they weren't trying to not pay the support there would be nothing to hold them back from having a relationships with their child, and that is the most important part of all this. It isn't the money, it's the kids. So if there were a better way for the government to get the money for the kids, there wouldn't be a reason for the fathers to be trying to hide from the mothers who have the kids. Everyone wins in the long run if there were a better system.

No comments: