Monday, July 7, 2008

You’re Insufficient

Going through an old topic list for my blog and I found one about insufficient funds fees that was connected to an earlier blog about check being cashed a month and an half after I had written it. It had wrecked my finances only a week or two before Christmas. My friend just had the same issue because of a miscalculation, but it did remind me to write this post. Shortly after the checked cashed and the Burger King bounced, (here's that post) I realized what all had went wrong. The credit to my account that was suppose to be in there didn't post for at least a week after I had returned an item even though of course they took the money out of my account the very instant I purchased it. Well I had also needed gas that night when I had returned that item, but I should have had money in the account because there was not suppose to be check. So I got charged $25 for -$0.63. Then I also got charged for gas another $35 fee plus the $20 or so for the actual gas. I want to know what gives people and banks the right to charge such outrageous fees on people that obviously didn't have the money in the first place for them to charge extra to. With all the technology and tracking of information we have now, they can know who the serial offenders are and who just made an honest mistake and who just got hosed for someone else being wrong.

This brings me to the next point. Your bank charging you a fee when you cash a check from someone else and it bounces. What the hell kind of bull shit is that? I have know people whose pay checks have bounced and they have already paid their bills with it before it had came back is bounced. I am sure you can guess what, but I will say it anyway. They get charged a fee for the bounced pay check, all the money from the check is taken away, the checks for the other bills bounce, and they get charged a fee for each of the bounced bills, and not only does that happen once, but it keeps happening because the people they owe their bills too keeps trying to cash the check and each time they get an additional fee. It doesn't matter either, everyone says oh just call, you bill people understand. That is a load of crap and most of them are just out to make money so why should they help you. Even if you do call, oh they didn't get the word in time or some other form of hogwash but they don't stop trying to cash it. You can tell them to toss the check you will send another, guess what. They don't, they cash them both. They think just because they post a little warning that they should be allowed, but I think it is wrong. Why should a person be charged by the bank and the retailer for an honest mistake? $0.63 in the red cost me well over $60.00, and if you don't call a 2 ½ month old check an honest mistake I don't know what is.

No comments: