Monday, June 30, 2008

We Are All Doomed...

Or at least that is how we should feel if you watch the news. My husband was consistently reading about the economic failures of our society and telling me about it. Two weekends ago I finally said "You know what? I don't care." I was sick of hearing him tell me the world is coming to an end, the news telling me we are all doomed to suffer from this country's economic dilemma. I think he got the hint and stopped telling me about it. Then this weekend what is the topic of his family's visit? You guessed it. If you didn't, the economy, and who is heading the doom and gloom conversation? He's mother. She is an expert because she saw it on the news. Personally I think she too gullible to watch so much TV. She even tried telling us all how we are about to start a war with Iran because of our ships in the Persian Gulf. I tried explaining to her there is ALWAYS ships in the Persian Gulf, that a MUE leaves every 6 months and that is where they go. Well she knows what she saw and I am just wrong. HELLO WOMAN, I think I should know they leave every 6 months. Their last stop is Camp Lejeune before heading across the ocean. I have personally been on the beach when they left and came back, and have had phone calls from the beach as they were about to board. They have to pick up their Marines. Of course, no one backs me up. Then she goes back to all our money woes, and I guess someone mentioned a change of subject. (My guess her husband because he gets tired of talking about money just as much as I do.) but she informs us all this is what all families are discussing around the family table. So let her live in her hell, and I went back to laying on the grass with my son thinking you all don't have anything to worry about because you don't have anything anyway. They and the media are waiting for the next Crash and until then are trying to freak the rest of the populous out.

Why don't I care? It will happen if is going to and there is nothing as citizens we can do about it. I would say buy American, but hardily anything is wholly American anymore and if it is it is expensive as hell and who can afford it with the prices of everything else. All we can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best. (Isn't that a motto somewhere?) So how do you prepare? Buy a few extra cans when you go to the grocery store of vegetables and meats. If you have a way of storing dry goods, do it. Learn the lost art of canning. My husband grew up on a farm without electricity, so why him and his mother are freaking out I have no idea. At least they know how to store food, most of us don't. Plant a garden if you have a yard. If you don't you can still plant them in pots, what better way to decorate then with your own edible foliage? Maybe have a little petty cash stored some where.

Worrying about this doesn't help or fix anything. I'm not saying completely ignore it either, but if you are prepared then you'll be ready for whatever may come.

No comments: