Friday, June 20, 2008

Flying Cars

In this day and age everyone thinks we should be living like The Jetsons, with the most important invention not yet created being the flying car. Am I the only one that thinks this is a HORRIBLE idea? I understand the conveniences that an invention like this could provide, direct routes, faster commutes, and less traffic, unless you can recall The Jetsons and their skyways, their traffic was as bad as LA! I would love to have my husband home sooner from work and leaving later in the mornings, but I see many more disadvantages that an invention like this would cause. Are the people that want these inventions actually paying attention to what is going on our roads or are they too busy on their cell phones or perhaps there mind has wander to that grand invention that would take them in to the great blue and away from all the hassles of paying attention to the other "morons" on the pavement? While down on the ground, I am the one dodging the cell phone users and daydreamers thinking to myself 'why, oh why did I bother to leave my house?' I know the question in most of your minds at this moment, and yes, I have used a cell phone while driving. I only use it if I have to i.e. I am running late for an appointment because someone in front of me was sending a text message while behind the wheel and has crashed into the elderly woman and now the texter is trying to blame the crash on her feeble old mind and not his utter lack of paying attention to anything beside that little vibrating communication device. Maybe the vibrations in his lap are why he wants the phone continually going off, but I digress. If an invention like this actually took off I wouldn't even be safe in my home anymore. I am sure there would be "skyways", but as of late there is at least once a month someone crossing the center divider and plowing into someone minding their lanes and/or telephone conversations. We also can't forget the 20 year old drunk in a Jetta that kills a semi driver because the courts didn't put her in jail for her first couple of offenses nor any of her little bar buddies and pothead friends. Maybe we can look forward to the flybys of teenage boys that no longer need to get their thrills by plowing through a corn field during the middle of the night but instead now are seeing how many people they can wake up before the cops catch up to them. Or maybe my house will be the next finish line for the Need for Speed crowd, which I am sure my ex would enjoy thoroughly. Then you have the insane exes and other folks that do not quite have all their marbles but yet still have their licenses. Small town Indiana isn't even safe from things that a deranged mind can do with a flying projectile, case in point this Plane Crash where an 8 year old little girl was killed by her own father in his attempt to get back at his ex and her family. People don't even need cars or licenses to wreak havoc on unsuspecting citizens, for example the teenagers on an overpass dropping rocks on passing cars. Yes, why not put those same teens stories above the ground and see what kind of damage that same rock will do. Or maybe the job of the crazy that goes to school and shoots up the place could be made just that much easier by just taking their flying car mach 1 straight into the building instead of walking up and down hallways. You may think those are just random instances that would not be normal everyday life, but even if these things do not effect you every day the fact is everyday someone tries to commit suicide, murder or some sort of crime, and this would make things a lot easier. Here is one that probably effects everyone everyday that they drive. The five people that run the light after it has turned red (Shelbyville Rd and New Lagrange Rd, Louisville) while the guy behind you is honking his horn because the light has turned green and one second has passed. The impatience and road rage would not end just because we are now floating in the heavens. More accidents would be tragedies. I for one am not looking forward to the day the mass of this or any other nation take to the skies above me or my family for their daily transportation.

No comments: