Friday, December 21, 2007

Buying Furniture

The Issue: If you are delivering furniture make sure you get the bed right...

My husband and I went out and bought 3 rooms of furniture on Tuesday, master bedroom, daughter's bedroom and a sectional microfiber couch, spending about $4,000. The first day they could make the delivery was today, but they came before noon so not that terrible. They brought everything in before starting to set it up and I made a comment to my husband that our bed frame seemed a bit on the small side. He assured me that it was the correct size. Why would he do that? Because we made sure three times at least while in the store we were ordering a king sized bed. So the delivery guys set it up and after everything was together we went to sign the papers making note of one piece of the sectional couch they forgot to Scotch Guard. So I made the comment that the frame looked small, and the delivery guy said it was a queen. To which I informed them that I had told my husband it looked too small before they had put it together, to which they said they saw the king sized mattress and one had asked if they were taking that away too before they set the frame up. You would have thought they would have asked to make sure before they put the it together, so after that I didn't feel so bad. So we call the manager whom we bought the furniture and who will be receiving the commission and he told us he will be delivering the correct bed by 9:00 PM tonight. We had also borrowed a truck off one of my husband's relatives and load it up with old furniture to take to my sister's apartment an hour away, and of course... it's raining, and now we are waiting again. So we wait a while longer and then we call the store to give them a phone number to contact us so that we can go to my sister's. We get there, set up, and our "new" fish tank is loaded back into the truck and my husband heads back towards the house and I head to Wal-mart. A bunch of money later I am heading back to my sister's so that my daughter can spend the night with her cousin even though she has a nice new bed to sleep on. So I get back to the house to hear the news that the guy that was suppose to deliver our bed rented a truck and is making a bunch of other deliveries before us. So we wait and wait and wait... we are still waiting.

The Point: If you are going to deliver furniture and happen to screw up on something, do not make a mistake on the payer's bed... Break a mirror, a lose a draw to the night stand and drop the bloody dresser while going done the road, just don't make them sleep on the couch.

No comments: