Saturday, December 22, 2007

Cashing Checks

The Issue: When did you cash that check?...

I gave my daughter's teacher a check issued in the teacher's name like she asked me to for books that we had ordered from one of those order forms. She said this way she can write one big check and we will get our books faster. Okay, sounds good. So the check was dated 10/5/07, and my account indicates it was cashed 12/20/07. WOW did that screw up my fiancees for the holiday season. I know had I been keeping an accurate record I probably wouldn't of had this problem. I never write checks. That is why. Also when I opened the account two years ago the bank "gave" me a (charged me for) box of non duplicate checks and since I do not use them there was no point ordering more. I still have two books of the things still in the box. I had been looking for the checks I had written because they were like scatter cashed, and I thought they all had finally been cashed since I had voided a few. Well I was wrong. So she cashed it, and I bought something that caused me to go $0.63 under. So I got charged $25.00. Now I am -$25.63. I also had taken my daughter to Burger King like I promised for $9.99, so now -$35.62. My husband of course was like well you should have kept better track, and I know this, but I don't think even he who still writes checks for all the bills would have remembered there was a check out there from 2 and a half months ago.

The Point: If you receive a check make sure you cash it in a reasonable amount of time, don't wait until two and a half months later.

No comments: